What is Mold?

There are thousands of different types of mold and we encounter many of them every day, in our homes and outdoors. Molds are part of the natural environment.  Outdoors, molds play a part in nature by breaking down dead organic matter such as fallen leaves and dead trees, but indoors, mold growth should be avoided.  Molds reproduce by means of tiny spores; the spores are invisible to the naked eye and float through outdoor and indoor air.  Mold may begin growing indoors when mold spores land on surfaces that are wet.  One common element that exists in all of the many types of mold is that none of them will grow without water or moisture. Eliminate moisture, eliminate mold problems.

What is Toxic Mold?

Toxic mold is a type of mold that produces hazardous byproducts, called mycotoxins. While individuals with asthma and other respiratory problems may have reactions to many types of mold, it's thought that mycotoxins are more likely to trigger health problems in even healthy individuals. These toxins are believed to be linked to memory loss and to severe lung problems in infants and the elderly.

 

Floating particles of mold are invisible to the naked eye, so it's impossible to see where they might have landed until they begin to grow. Loose mold particles that accumulate on items within a house are easily inhaled and can be a constant irritation to the people and pets who live there.

 

The toxic mold we hear most about is Stachybotrys chartarum, a slimy, greenish-black mold that grows on moisture-laden materials that contain cellulose, such as wood, paper, drywall, and other similar products. It does not grow on tile or cement.

 

Even if the mold in your home is not toxic mold, it can still be a problem, because any mold growing on organic materials will in time destroy them--and too much mold of any type smells bad and degrades air quality.

 

Mold thrives in damp, humid conditions.

It is impossible to get rid of all mold and mold spores indoors; some mold spores will be found floating through the air and in house dust. The mold spores will not grow if moisture is not present. Indoor mold growth can and should be prevented or controlled by controlling moisture indoors.  If there is mold growth in your home, you must clean up the mold and fix the water problem.  If you clean up the mold, but don't fix the water problem, most likely, the mold problem will come back.

House Pros will perform a thorough visual inspection of your home for mold. Air and Surface Samples will be taken and submitted for laboratory analysis if I have reason to believe there is any mold problem, and most importantly,† Iíll identify the source of the moisture thatís causing the problem.

Eliminate the moisture, and youíll eliminate the mold problem!

Call Tom @ 708-373-5441 for an estimate based on your specific needs

NIC ASHI Logo

House Pros, Inc.

Home Inspection Services

708-373-5441

Text Box: International Association of  Certified Home Inspectors

Member of the International Association of Certified Indoor

Air Consultants